At Sennen School, reading is a top priority and is a key focus for our curriculum. We place a high emphasis on mastering phonics as early as possible and prioritise building children’s vocabulary and knowledge of language.
It is our intention to ensure that by the end of their primary education children are skilled and passionate readers, reading for pleasure as well as to improve their learning.
Books are carefully chosen to provide a balance between classic texts; and new and award-winning books. We acknowledge that we are a very remote community and so we aim to expose our children and the wider community to culturally diverse texts to stimulate conversations and develop curiosity.
We continually develop our vocabulary and retrieval skills across the curriculum to enable children to learn more about the world around them through text.
We therefore encourage all pupils to read widely across a range of texts, develop a love of reading and use it to build their knowledge across the curriculum. We promote comprehension/inference skills, a rich vocabulary and make links to the wider curriculum and world.
At Sennen School, writing is at the heart of our curriculum. All children from Foundation Stage to Year 6 benefit from using real life experiences and high quality texts to inspire their writing. Our intention is for pupils to be confident, coherent, creative writers who love to write for a variety of purposes and across a range of genres.
We believe reading and writing are intrinsically linked and we combine the skills wherever possible. As well as having a wide vocabulary, we want the children to have a solid understanding of grammar and to be able to spell new words effectively by applying the spelling knowledge that they gain through their time with us. We believe that all pupils should be encouraged to take pride in the presentation of their writing, in part by developing a good, joined, handwriting style by the time they move to secondary school.
We place a strong emphasis on:
- Ensuring high quality pieces are modelled and created collaboratively.
- Actively learning ambitious and appropriate vocabulary which is genre specific.
- Writing for audiences to create a sense of purpose.
- Self and buddy checking work to support the editing process with a focus on spelling and vocabulary.
- Having the opportunity to refine, edit and publish writing.
- WRITING Intent Implementation and Impact (Final).docx
- The writing process at Sennen.pub
- Progression document - report writing
- Progression document - recounts
- Progression document - writing instructions
- Progression document - narratives
- Progression document - discussion
- Progression document - explanatory
- Progression document - persuasive