Throughout all curriculum delivery at Sennen, run our core learning behaviours. These are taught and developed alongside understanding and mastery of the primary curriculum. We believe that developing the children’s ability to learn is crucial in order prepare them for secondary school and beyond. Clear effective methodologies devised by teaching staff, drawing on research and best practice from many areas, enable high quality delivery of core subjects. Staff work hard to adapt and personalise the curriculum to meet the needs of individuals, ensuring that each learner can work at their cutting edge. Children have the opportunity to experience a wide range of well planned, practical activities across all subjects. The curriculum will be delivered in an eclectic mix of locations designed to inspire and excite.
- At Sennen School we aim to provide an education that will equip our pupils for a lifetime of learning.
- We aim to provide a broad and balanced curriculum for all pupils. We enable pupils to develop knowledge, understand concepts and acquire skills as well as be able to choose and apply these to relevant situations.
- We ensure equal access to learning, with high expectations for every pupil and appropriate levels of challenge and support
- As well as highly valuing academic achievement, we passionately believe in developing the core learning skills of resilience, respect, reflectiveness, resourcefulness and teamwork. These virtues are instilled and reinforced in all aspects of school life as our children thrive in a supportive community environment.
- In our early years, we promote the learning and development of our youngest children and ensure they are ready for Key Stage 1.
- We strongly value children’s individuality and encourage them to pursue their interests; celebrating their achievements in both school and through extra-curricular activities.
- We make the most of our wonderful locality to get the children out in the environment, learning through real life experiences.
- We support pupils’ physical development and responsibility for their own health and enable them to be active.
Our core values run through all our teaching and we aim to develop our pupils by:
- Building resilience by: challenging the children; encouraging them to take risks; make mistakes and learn from them; developing their ability to manage distractions and persevere;
- Building resourcefulness by: encouraging children to make connections in their learning using their books and classroom displays; enabling the children to make decisions about how to approach and plan their work, individually and as a group; valuing the power of imagination;
- Building reflectiveness by: analysing and discussing their work, identifying their own strengths and areas for development;
- Building teamwork by: valuing collaboration; developing empathy and listening skills; emphasising the importance of being inter-dependant and community minded;
- Building respect by: creating a culture whereby children are listened to and encouraged to show kindness towards themselves, others and the school environment. We support the children in developing empathy for other’s feelings and developing tolerance for other cultures and beliefs.