Our art curriculum aims to ensure pupils develop:
- Appreciation of work by different artists;
- The skills to create their own artwork inspired by existing artwork and artists;
- Skills of art in different media;
- Their own creativity and enjoyment.
How we support children with SEND in art and design
All children can enjoy and achieve in art and design and any SEND should not limit them in any way. They should be encouraged to explore art from a variety of genres, using a wide range of media and skills. Children should be encouraged to create using tools that reflect their understanding and appreciation of a variety of stimuli that are adapted where needed.
What amendments are made to the subject in order to help children with SEND to achieve?
- Fostering a can do attitude, particularly with regards to work for displays/exhibiting and support to express how the artwork makes them feel
- A spiral curriculum (revisit and revise) - At the start of the lesson, children will be revisiting the vocabulary and keys facts you have learnt. This will give children with SEND more time and opportunities to understand the concepts and vital knowledge they need to access the learning.
- Visual word mats - where appropriate we will create a visual word mat or collage for your children with SEND